II. THE ASSETS
For this project, I had to create various 3D elements. The idea was to invent the ruins of a ancient civilization on a devastated and hostile planet, to mix fantasy and science fiction.
For most of those assets, the creation process was the following:
- Modeling the basic shape in C4D
- Import the .obj and damage it in ZBrush
- Remeshing and creation of UVs map for displacement map
- Texturing the low poly model in Octane with triplanar nodes
III. The Howling Planet
I wanted to create an exotic solar system. The action take place on an misty orange planet. Around it orbit two satellites, the Russet Moon and the Golden Moon. The first one is so close of her planet that she projects his shadow on it. The second is much larger but appears smaller in the planet's sky due to its distance.
IV. The Slave-god
He's a mysterious lovecraftian entity. A malevolent space god trying to re-establish his domination over the howling planet. In the form of an immemorial stone colossus, he try ages after ages to break the sacred bells who banished him in the depths of space. His floating throne calling him to return for rule again on his desolate kingdom.
V. COMPOSITING AND MATTE PAINTING
The post-production process was carried out in the following order :
- Exporting the camera position and some lights, as space markers, from C4D to After Effects.
- Color correcting the shot.
- Adding fog stock footage in the 3D space, and matte painting on some shots.
- Adding camera blur.
- Color grading the final edit, shot by shot, to ensure uniformity in the final look.
- Adding lens blur, vignetting, RGB split and film grain.
VI. EARLY RENDER AND LOST SHOTS
For all those who are still present, some research and shots that don't appear in the final edit.
Designed and directed by Raphaël Quélin
Music by Worakls "Pandemonium"